Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Process of Revision

I have done so many papers in my life, and the revision process is always a must.  My first drafts seem pretty good at the moment, but then after I get it back, I realize that I can do better than that.  So once I fix what I think is not so good, I feel very confident in my revised paper.  I feel that I change the parts of my paper that only need to be changed.  I don't revise every single detail of the paper, just the parts that suck and are very boring.  I believe that the drafting process is necessary and that it helps with your paper incredibly.  I always find at least three or four things that I need to change.  So obviously it helps.  I think that people who say that it doesn't help only say that because they are lazy and don't want to take the time to edit their papers and put more effort into it.  The instructor's comments are always very clear and to the point.  They help me a lot by pointing out points that I probably wouldn't have noticed if they didn't point it out.   You get the outsider's point of view and it helps you find what they are looking for in the paper.  I don't have many problems with the revision process most of the time.  I just get "brain farts" every now and then and can't think straight for a few seconds.  The only thing I really struggle with is making up a good, unique, but clear thesis statement and trying to conclude it without restating the same thing.  So those are things that I usually revise when I look through it again.  Overall though, revising has helped me so much in my papers and make my papers a lot stronger, especially with the comments from the instructor.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. At first you get on a roll and everything your typing makes a ton of sense, but after you re-read it what you hear is no good. The process of revision gives you a chance to edit yourself and make sure you are clearly getting your point across

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you see the benefits of revision. this course is about writing and revising. writing is an evolving process. each revision produces a more polished version of your original work.

    ReplyDelete